Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Belly Cast

It's here... it's here!!

One of the things I always wanted to do  if I ever got pregnant was to have my belly casted as a keepsake. So when I found out I was pregnant, you can bet the belly casting plans were well on their way.

A friend of mine who did one recommended that I use pharmacy casting supplies instead of the cheap kits you get from Babies 'R' Us. Let me tell you she was right. That stuff worked great. The only thing I would have done differently is made it a little thicker. Maybe next time... ;)

I developed preeclampsia in my last trimester and weeks 35-37 were extremely hard on me both emotionally and physically. Mentally the meditation and warm baths helped me to win the battles but physically my body was winning the war. My condition was worsening and I knew she was going to be arriving much sooner then later. My best friend was in town for Christmas/ Yule and we planned on having her come over to cast my belly ASAP. It was typical best friend stuff: have them rub petroluem jelly all over your giant belly, watch a Hoarders marathon and start casting away.

My daughter was born less then 5 days after the cast was taken. When I see it I don't think of the preeclampsia, I don't think of the soreness, exhaustion or waiting. I think of living all those days waiting for my daughter to be born. I had a C section because of the preeclampsia and because she was breech. The scar at the bottom of my belly I call my smiley face, because it looks just like an up turned smile.

Being a Mommy has been the most wonderful experience of my life, nothing compares. Having this keepsake painted only adds to the specialness it represents.

A HUGE thank you to Gabrieele Fibbs Creations. She had never done a belly casting before but she was happy to experiment and the finished piece was better then I could have ever imagined!







The small yellow circles you see if you look very closely have fairies inside of them. What a wonderful way to capture one of the happiest times in my life. Thank you Gabi.

)O(
Kanani

2 comments:

A Girl Called Woo said...

IT WAS SO MUCH FUN!!!!

Jolyn said...

That's awesome. And it's so gorgeous.