Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Night one of Rocky Horror Picture show was... A SUCCESS!!

Rocky Horror Picture Show

I spent the entire day thinking... I CAN"T DO THIS!!!

When you are committed to doing something, in my mind backing out and letting everyone else down isn't really an option. Luckily, however, most of the other cast members I later learned had also never been in a production. Learning that little tid bit, helped a lot!

I put on my corset, fishnets, thigh highs and bloomers and set out to try and just NOT freeze. My friend and I went out for a courage drink, okay maybe more then one and went to the show. At this point I had spent two weeks at home listening to the soundtrack and studying the movie. I tried to be as prepared as I could.

The friday @ 7 o'clock show I was Rocky. I got chased around the room and did my best to flex when needed. :) I have to admit as long as you don't really think about the fact that 100 people are watching you. It's a blast. Coach Natas came in and was Rocky for the 10 o' clock show and so I played Riff Raff. I didn't feel like I did very well as I hadn't really studied his part in the movies. Although I knew the Time Warp by then like the back of my hand!!

After the 10 o' clock show, I saw the two people who were in charge of the show talking. I was supposed to play Janet for the two shows on Saturday. Oh geez, I thought... they kept looking my way. I thought they were obviously trying to think of a nice way to ask me to not play Janet, as it was a big role and I likely didn't do that well. That was fine I though. I would be very grateful to participate at all and wouldn't be hard on myself since I was just proud of myself for conquering a fear of being in front of an audience like that.  Derek walked up to me and said, " I don't know quite how to ask you this but, you were so much fun to watch out there and you do such a great job we would like it if instead of Janet tomorrow night you played Dr. Frankenfurter?"

To say you could have knocked me over with a feather wouldn't even do that moment justice. I had not only conquered a fear and tried something I never thought I would have the guts to do, but I did it well. I stared at him in shock, " do you think I could do that?"

"Do you?" he replied. I paused for a second and then said Yes, I will. I was worried that if I thought about it too long I would chicken out and miss out on yet another AMAZING oppurtunity.

Playing Dr. Frankenfurter was incredible and awesome. I had fun and was remarkably comfortable considering the outfit I was wearing, but alas. I did it! The  confidence boost I have received from this is amazing. I did something I never thought I could do. I allowed myself to be on  stage in front of 300 people Saturday night wearing an outfit that would make most anyone blush. I played the lead character and had eyes on me. I did not falter and I did not fail. Instead I had fun and enjoyed myself. I didn't feel self conscience or worry in the slightest. That was a big step for me. Both in my comfort level in my body image and in being less fearful of trying new things. I never knew how much I would love Rocky Horror Picture Show.

FYI... I have been asked to come back when they do it again for Halloween. I said... you bet!!

0 comments: