Monday, January 18, 2010

Avatar and Paganism make the news together…

In a recent World Day of Peace message, the pontiff warned against any notions that equate humans and other living things. He said such notions "open the way to a new pantheism tinged with neo-paganism, which would see the source of man's salvation in nature alone.


http://http://www.cbc.ca/arts/film/story/2010/01/12/avatar-vatican.html?ref=rss

Perhaps the pontiff is missing the point.

Neo paganism isn’t about worshipping nature as a god per say. It’s about god / goddess existing in nature and thus treating it with the respect it deserves instead of pillaging it for all it’s worth with no regard. The fact that Avatar is about such a concept further proves that religions are leaning towards a time of a more hands on and 3 dimensional type of spirituality. The believe it merely because I said so and you should is beginning to hold a lot less ground.

We are a collective on this world together. We can collectively destroy or create. The choice is ours. I look forward to the day when people no longer feel the need to hide in the broom closet and can speak of there Pagan beliefs openly and without fear. I smile because I believe that will happen in my lifetime.

3 comments:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i try to ignore the pontiff as much as possible! i sooo want to see avatar but i hear you can get motion sickness from watching and i throw up if i sit on a swing or look at a boat, so i guess that s not happening. glad you liked my rings!

Kanani said...

The rings were beautiful. I too get motion sickness but I am going to give it a try. :) I will let you know how it goes.

Sabrina said...

It was a wonderful movie & very respectful of "tree of life" it reminded me a lot of Pocohontas in Space... oh & no motion sickness at all but, then again we did not see it in 3D :)